TF2Newbs Homepage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your ad here, right now:
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Official Feedback: #16 rd_asteroid  (Read 2526 times)
Obey
UBER NEWB!

Rock Paper Scissors is life.

« on: July 08, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »

Octo set up server #16 as rd_asteroid, a robot destruction beta map.

What's a Beta Map?

What's a "robot destruction" play mode?

Since Valve want us to email them feedback for beta maps, this thread is here to collect any you would like to provide Valve, the Newbs admins, or the community.

Discuss.
Logged  Jump To Top

Victor
Newbs Regular

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »

Couple things I noticed.

-Too confusing to get out of spawn to get to mid

It might be just that I have to play the map more, but it seems way too complicated to get out of spawn. The teleporter included with the map is a neat concept, but it only goes to the battlements at mid, making it only viable for snipers. Still, I spent a lot of time going down one place, but end up back up at the "intel."

-Insta kills lasers at "intel" are overpowered

I understand that the lasers are in place to prevent the enemy for having an easy access to the "intel," but several people died trying to cap it by going through the lasers as opposed to going around, which seemed  too far out of the way to even bother going through. I'd suggest making them hurt (like bleed) as opposed to an insta-kill.

-Health Kit/Weapon Supply Placement

Again, I probably need to playtest more, but it seems like the health kits and weapon pickups are desperately needed everywhere.

-Mid: Falling into Space!

It feels too much of mid requires you going over the narrow bridge.It would be easier to flank to avoid projectile spam, but there too much "pit" and not enough ground that makes flanking impossible.

-Underground Pit is bugged

There's a path that goes under the bridge at mid. On that path is two pits (serving no purpose?) on both RED and BLU. After a few incidents, I realized you can go into these pits and not die. Worse, there is no "no-build" area, allowing you built teleporters down there to trap your teammates. So if you fall and you aren't a Soldier or Demo, you're stuck.

It's hard to play because the dev textures are confusing, so I hope the developers add more detailing before it's officially released. Smiley
Logged  Jump To Top
Wolf Machina
UBER NEWB!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:11:17 AM »

I looked at the Wiki entry for this and holy crap, they finally added this game mode.

This was being worked on years ago way before mvm was a thing, I'm glad they're finally trying it.

Looking forward to trying it out when I get home
Logged  Jump To Top

Crit Rocket Crit Rocket Crit Rocket Crit Rocket
Wolf Machina
UBER NEWB!

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »

I'm sure most of you get how it works, but I'll put something here anyway just in case:
-A,B and C robots in your base, they have 500 health and can be killed for points (5 for A, 10 for B and 25 for C)
-you can only kill the next level of robot after killing all of the first
-when all of a type of bot are destroyed it opens up certain doors related to the A, B and C bots
-bots respawn after a certain amount of time
-one timer for all bots of a letter
-if A bots respawn while you're attacking B or C bots then the B/C bots can no longer be attacked, same for B respawns in regards to C
-you have an intel on a point and it stores all your points
-when picked up the longer you are stood on their point with their intel the more of their points you pick up
-return to base with charged intel and cap to gain the points picked up
-the goal is to reach 300 points first

So far:

-It's 2fort, the only difference being the base is a little more complex, but only enough to confuse casual players
-Two massive holes in sewers that do nothing
-The door system is ridiculous, some routes take you on a long walk before you realise you can't get through because it's a bot related door
-It's hard to get to your own intel from spawn and your own lasers screw you over because you can't get close to the guy picking up all your points to then take back to his base
-The map doesn't flow well
-You can win the game in one capture as long as you pick up enough points
-This mode is magnitudes of complex and it results in teamwork going out the window
-Health kits and ammo are too rarely placed, badly placed or don't exist where it would make sense to have them
-With the complexity and doubling back of paths in the base it's difficult to track dropped intel, as the only guide is a floating intel symbol with a number on your screen which, when trying to run toward in doubling back tunnels is frustrating

What I would like to see:
-fix the holes, or better yet actually do something with the sewers to make it a worthwhile bypass
-Have the bot doors at the beginning and end of routes then make them one way on bots respawning
-Rethink the ammo and health placement
-Can we just have some sort of Dota mode? add robots from mvm on each team as minions and have to destroy towers instead of robots, this would be awesome xD

Forgot to add:
-you respawn faster in your own base, only this isn't true for the entire blu base only the front half, unlike reds which is the whole thing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:59:59 AM by Wolf Machina » Logged  Jump To Top

Crit Rocket Crit Rocket Crit Rocket Crit Rocket
Victor
Newbs Regular

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention is the location of the teleporter to the battlements (the one you can get from spawn).

It's easy enough to for an engineer with a wrangler to get onto the enemy's battlements. With the help of an enemy spy, that engineer could spawn camp on that teleporter. Best solution would be to move the exits.
Logged  Jump To Top
Pages: [1] 2
Print

Jump to: