TF2Newbs Homepage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your ad here, right now:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Need Help on the East Coast - (Jr.) Admin Opportunity  (Read 20755 times)
TheJib
Head Admin
1K Newb

The Pixelat0r! <<

« on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »

Hello fellow Newbs. If you're from the old school we've probably played a good deal together at one time or another, however for those of you who don't know me I am Jib - cofounder of Newbs with the mighty Octopus.

The East Coast needs some love. #4 (2fort) seems to be very solid, both trade servers get a lot of traffic. So that's good. However we don't really have any alternatives other than the occasional 10 man game of KOTH on #10. I'd like to see a payload and/or rotation server emerge and get something consistent going. I realize these are both tall tasks, and at one point or another we've had some success with both but due to machines changing IPs or changes on those servers things have tapered off in this area. So in talking with Octo it looks like #15 & #16 are our best shots with people randomly joining / people having them favorited from the past.

So this is where you come in. I'm looking for suggestions on maps and settings as well as people to commit to getting these servers started daily (whenever possible, but the goal here is to have it active each day). Many moons ago we had a Newbs point system that gave points for people starting the servers, I'm checking into the viability of bringing that back to help track who is really putting in the effort. Last time we worked on the east coast Jaded and moneymike, kit, and kamo received admin, they've done a great job and are staples of our community. On our trade server initiative we put Quantico in charge, he has also done an amazing job managing those servers and keeping them full and under control. If you're interested in stepping into an Jr. admin / admin role here at Newbs, this is generally how it happens.

My plan, and I'm very open to suggestions and hope to receive any that you think would help get us off the ground.
1. Focus on 1 server, I'm nominating #15 as I've seen it have the most random traffic, and it was once popular. Change this to a single map that fits the play-style we're trying to accomplish. Personally I'd like to see payload race, even better payload race rotation.. I'm well aware that's a big task, so that's why I think starting with a 24/7 payload would help get us some traction.. get us in some favorites etc. This is completely up to debate, the only things I'm opposed to is pl_badwater (Great map, but I feel like we've all put in some hours on badwater). pl_goldrush?

2. After deciding the map / map settings that would draw the biggest crowd - get that puppy full. I'm happy to do incentives, such as item giveaways for most time played on the server / most points / most kills.. Etc. Simple items like strange parts or weapons, just things to give people a little extra push to take part in our server effort. I plan to do announcements with the TF2 Newbs Server fillup crew, and post a little thing in chat asking for help. However I will definitely need some help in this department. Kamo has already shown some interest in helping out, and any other current admins who would like to help on this project by doing similar things to get it started, would be greatly appreciated. As previously mentioned, this is a great opportunity to step up if you're looking to gain some admin privileges. Most of our current global admins were players who took it upon themselves to help police the servers, and keep the environment fun, as well as working with us on similar projects to this one.

3. Once we've established one server, with hopefully a couple main people who are dedicated to it's success we start tweaking the map rotation and settings if we need to. Solidify one server, then start on the next. Goal being 2 East coast servers with different crowds - Payload / Rotation. Getting the early presence will be the key, suggestions on a 24/7 payload map to get things started?

As stated please voice all ideas and concerns, Tara did an initiative similar to this and I know many people were involved in that. Let's give the East Coast servers some love!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:06:02 PM by TheJib » Logged  Jump To Top

plague.of.crickets
UBER NEWB!

Life on six legs

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »

Cool. I have horrible connections to the east coast servers, but I can try to help out.

Goldrush is definitely one of the more popular payload maps, and if we want the first server to work, it seems prudent to pick a popular map. I enjoy Frontier, Barnblitz and Upward a bit more than Goldrush, but I don't think they're nearly as popular.

There's pretty strong interest in a Newbs Hightower server, but I think the preference for that is west coast, followed by midwest (see some of the previous new server discussions and vote). But having two Hightower servers (one west, one east), or one Hightower server and one payload race rotation server, would be lovely.
Logged  Jump To Top

[N]ova Shikirori™
UBER NEWB!

The Newbs Workaholic ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »

I would love to help out. I can't frequent those servers because of my ping, but I do help start then all the time. I'd be willing to dedicate some major time to this, more after the event.
Logged  Jump To Top

"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."

Click --->Steam Profile

Wife
Admin
Super Newb!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »

#15 is my original server. It's the whole reason I joined newbs. I would love to see it up again.

I am all for a rotation. When if first started playing TF2 I started on valve servers where they did a rotation of gorge/gravelpit/dustbowl. I liked this variety and think one similar to this would work as long as the maps are "popular". The map's I would choose would be or include dustbowl, gullywash, steel. Or maybe do a rotation with a payload map mixed in. Maybe do dustbowl, steel, hightower? Not sure if people would like that but it would give them a variety. As long as the map doesn't change every hour. Maybe ever 2 cause when I attempted to push 6 the map would change every hour and this killed the server I was trying to start. Also, it was suppose to be a 24/7 dustbowl so why change every hour? Anyway, I would be glad to help push 15.

Maybe do an incentive, though I know this has been done in the past and I am not sure it worked to the success the admin was hoping for. I like the points idea, but need more things to do with them. And they don't work on all servers.

I know or I thought there was a group out there for 15 regs maybe utilize that group to help server start.
Logged  Jump To Top

"A Happy Wife is a Happy Life" ~I don't know who said this, but I like it.

Jane Doe
Newbs Regular

who is this

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »

i'm always on board to help start up servers, especially ones with maps that aren't dustbowl and 2fort Tongue ping is definitely an issue for me on east coast servers but i'll do what i can! especially if we got a hightower server, i'd be all over that regardless of ping
Logged  Jump To Top

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
Print

Jump to: