TF2Newbs Homepage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your ad here, right now:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: NEWBS HAT LOTTERY, Chance to win a random hat for 1 scrap  (Read 29180 times)
Crap
Global Admin
1K Newb

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

« on: November 25, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »

So I discussed the idea of a hat lottery with Octo awhile back, and we figured that using his crazy mathematical system which is barely understandable by a liberal arts major like myself (it had something to do with square roots and functions or something and items ids etc.), we could do a random lottery drawing.

Assuming there is enough interest, this may be a weekly/monthly thing.

Rules/Requirements

1. Each chance costs 1 scrap or 2 craftable/tradeable weapons. Maximum of 3 chances per person, per drawing. Each drawing will be limited to a minimum of 27 scrap worth of entries and a maximum of 30 scrap worth of entries (27 scrap is the amount required to craft a random hat, any extra scrap from participants above 27 will be rolled over into bonus prizes/other newbs event prizes).

NO REFUNDS once you have bought in, and in order to participate you must agree to abide by the contest terms, rules and regulations. Your agreement to these terms is indicated by posting an entry in the individual drawing threads listed below. These terms include not attempting to file a scamming complaint with Valve in an effort to recover donated scrap/items in the event you do not win.

You indicate that you have read, understand and agree to all terms, rules and regulations of the contest by participating.

2. Participants MUST have a tf2newbs.com forum account. Initial entry for each drawing will ONLY be carried out through the forums not steam chat or other means.
As noted above, by entering you agree to abide by all terms, rules and regulations of the contest.

3. Participants MUST be community members in good standing. If you are banned from the servers or forums you may not participate. New community members/players are of course welcome but this contest is limited to those actually participating in the community in some way, whether participating on the forums, or playing on the servers, helping with admin, newbs daily, etc.

There's not a really strict standard here but not accepting random participation from people who have no interest in the community and have nothing to do with it except wanting hats. Sorry.

4. Individuals may purchase multiple chances up to a maximum of 3 chances per drawing (e.g. pay 2 scrap, get 2 chances/assigned numbers for a better chance at winning).

5. Once enough extra scrap has built up, it will be used to craft a second hat for individual drawings. Only one hat may be won by a given individual per drawing. If the modulus (explained below) for both hat ids ends up being the same person, they may choose one of the hats and the remaining hat will be rolled over to a future drawing.

Procedure

1. Join the steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/newbslotto, the group is private, you may invite Newbs members who would like to participate, if you want to participate and need an invite to the group, post in this thread asking for an invite or contact someone in the group via steam) and post an entry in the relevant individual drawing thread listed below.

2. Contact either Crap or the Newbs Lottery account via steam to submit your scrap/items.
You may add the lottery account to friends if you want, but please don't add my main account (crap) as its like 3 people away from being full. You can message me through the steam group without adding me to friends in order to set up a trade using community links.

Steam Group
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/newbslotto

Lottery Collection/Crafting Account (where the metal will be held and which will do the actual crafting, owned by Crap)
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031388936

Collection/Crafting Account Backpack with details (including item id #'s)
http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198031388936?d=1

3. As each person signs up and gives their scrap or 2 weapon buy in they will be assigned a number between 1 to 30 in the order the scrap or items are received (first person to sign up and provide scrap is #1, 2nd is #2 etc.)

4. The weapons and scrap metal will be used to craft a random hat on one of the newbs servers. An announcement will be made to the lottery group before approximately 5-10 minutes before the crafting and any participants may join the server where the crafting is happening to witness the craft (so you can be sure no one is switching up the super awesome crafted hat for a hatless scout or whatever  Grin).

5. The modulus of the unique item id of the crafted hat will be used to determine a winner (the person who's assigned number matches the modulus of the unique item id of the crafted hat) who will then receive the random hat. The unique id of the hat is unpredictable before it is crafted, so no shenanigans or trickery can be used to rig the contest (in-depth mathematical explanation by Octo here: http://www.tf2newbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,5722.msg97929.html#msg97929).

6. The winner will be announced via the steam group and the forums (and possible contacted directly).

7. The winner contacts me on steam via either my main account or the lottery account to receive their hat.

F.A.Q. YOU!

Already getting a bunch of questions so here we go:

Q. Can I buy chances for other people?
A. Yes. Just tell me who you are buying it for and I will put it under their name. I'll generally leave the telling them who bought it up to you, so if you don't tell them, it remains a secret. Also, once the chance is bought, no take backs. If they win the hat and it turns out it's something you REALLY REALLY wanted, that's on you to deal with, the hat will be delivered to whoever is the name I am told the chance is for.

Q. What happens if there aren't enough participants to craft a hat?
A. Either I will bug people until we get enough, extra metal leftover from previous drawings will be used to make up the shortfall, or instead of a hat we will just do a drawing and the winner gets all the metal saved up on the lottery account at the time.

Q. I don't really want to participate, but I feel obligated after participating once, and feel bad because it doesn't seem like there are enough people participating. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?
A. No one should feel obligated to participate. I appreciate the sentiment, but the idea behind the whole thing is it's supposed to fun, so if anybody is only participating because they feel like they should or whatever, don't sweat it.

If there's ever not enough interest to run this, I'll just stop running it and we'll move on to something else =)

Q. Are you avoiding me? WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?!?!?"?!
I am fairly busy lately, so it sometimes takes me awhile to get to people to get the metal from them.

Generally I prefer as many people as possible to get a hold of me, rather than having to hunt people down, but if I have a message waiting from someone on steam, I usually try to get back to them when I can.

My schedule is weird and everybody has other stuff to do outside of TF2 too, so it sometimes takes a bit of tag to get a hold of each other, so no biggie.

If there's anybody who just cannot get on at the same time as me ever, you can also grab someone else who you trust and who is often on at the same time as me or who can get a hold of me and get them to give me your metal/items for you too. As long as I'm told who the stuff is for, I will add that person's name to the list once I get the items (See first faq question)

Q. I said I wanted to buy 15 chances on the forums, but by the time I got the metal to you there were only 2 spaces left/the event was full. Why in god's name don't you ever LISTEN TO ME WHEN I SAY I WANT XX CHANCES?!?!?!?
A. If the list fills up before someone gets a hold of me, or I have time to hunt people down, then obviously the people who paid in first get first dibs and anyone who didn't get a bid in in time will have to wait for the next one (this has actually already happened a couple of times already, with either people not being able to participate at all because all the slots filled, or people not being able to buy as many chance as they wanted).

Q. How much time do I have to get my metal in/When are you going to do the drawing and craft?!?! ("How about now? No... okay. How about now? No??? Geez. Well how about now?")
A. There's not set time limit or anything for paying in or doing the drawing.
Doesn't bother me if it takes 2 weeks or 2 minutes to get all the bids in, I'll just do the actual crafting/drawing once they are all in. Drawings will take place at my first free moment after all the metal is in. Preferably at a time when at least 1 or 2 witnesses are around. That may be hours after the metal is in, or day or two, just depends on my situation at the time.

Q. So what do you get out of this, you are obviously skimming metal or swapping out hats or something you dirty, filthy thief!?
A. Nothing. Hats are crafted with witnesses, so I couldn't swap them if I wanted to. Any extra metal over what is required to craft the hats is rolled into other drawings and I don't get to keep any of it. Hell, I don't even participate in the lottery myself just to keep people from crying about it if I did happen to win  Grin
The only even remotely personal benefit I get out of it is people occasionally pay in weapons and I might a weapon I needed or needed to craft my own left over weapons, since I am essentially buying the weapons people bid in and paying for them in scrap to the lottery account, and this isn't really much of a benefit because 1. there are rarely any weapons I actually need and 2. I can barely be arsed to craft the weapons I get in drops that I CAN craft, let alone fiddle with trying to get matches for the one's I don't have pairs of or whatever.  Grin

Drawing Threads:
(A separate thread will be made for each drawing in order to make keeping track of things simpler)

1st Drawing DRAWING CLOSED
Participants: 30
Opened: November 29, 2010
Crafting Held: December 1, 2010
Hat: Ze Goggles
Winner: Tara
Inaugural 1st Runner Up Bonus Prize: Sticky Jumper
Winner: Blueberry
Inaugural 2nd Runner Up Bonus Prize: Crate Key
Winner: Andy
http://www.tf2newbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,5737.0.html

2nd Drawing DRAWING CLOSED
Participants: 29
Opened: December 5, 2010 (Japan time)
Crafting Held: December 12, 2010
Hat: Mining Light
Winner: Foxfire
http://www.tf2newbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,5765.0.html

3rd Drawing DRAWING CLOSED
Participants: 30
Opened: March 8, 2011 (Japan time)
Crafting Held: March 23, 2011 (Japan Time)
Hat: Bloke's Bucket Helm
Winner: Nutzy
http://www.tf2newbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,6127.0.html

Newbs Hat Lottery Drawing #4: High Roller Hat Bonanza
Participants: 11
Opened: April 05, 2011
Crafting Held: April 14, 2011 (Japan Time)
Hat: Whole lotta hats (see drawing thread)
Winner: Noodle Monkey
http://www.tf2newbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,6202.0.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:15:17 PM by Crap » Logged  Jump To Top

King1853
Newbs Regular

Being The King Is Somewhat Stressful

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »

Sounds good to me yo!
Logged  Jump To Top

"Dude, I am so pro Swine Flu it's ridiculous."
Sharpevil
1K Newb