TF2Newbs Homepage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Stocks & Markets  (Read 3523 times)
L0LLip0p #g!Mp
Global Admin
Newbs Regular

Forever Fat.

« on: June 10, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »

Hi Newbs and Newblets.

Since finding a new job at the tail end of 2014, and randomly popping in and out of my lollipop hole (take that one as you will), I've been slowly vesting my off-time in the stock market. I stalked a couple companies for a couple months before taking the plunge in March, and since then have been playing the game of picking short and long-term investments (if you could call it that).

So my question for everyone is whether or not you watch, follow, or frolic in the market?

As for my experiences the last 8 months: Some of the first companies I've been eyeing (in fact put money in) was NeoPhotonics (NYSE:NPTN) simply because I believed in the technology, and NetElement (NASDAQ:NETE). Unfortunately, the latter was a complete bust, and I came out 26 cents on the dollar. Two of the other companies that I've thrown money at for some long-term holds are Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Disney (NYSE:DIS).
Logged  Jump To Top

plague.of.crickets
UBER NEWB!

Life on six legs

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »

I used to invest in individual stocks. It was a lot of fun, and I did OK. The fact is, though, that most people do not beat the market averages long term, including most professional investment managers. So now I just invest in index funds (which mirror market averages). It's boring, but I both do better and sleep better. I do, though, regret that I let my Apple stock go when I moved out of individual stocks. Cry

That said, if trading individual stocks is what motivates you to invest, that's far better than not investing. And maybe you'll be one of those who does beat the market.

Good hunting!
Logged  Jump To Top

HunterZero
Global Admin
UBER NEWB!

Burn baby burn

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »

I only own stock in the company I work at. Otherwise, it's an aggressive 401(k).

I keep wanting to buy stock in Box, since I think they will end up being a good investment. My friend has been working there for at least five years.
Logged  Jump To Top

(Battle strategy)
(Be) Swift as wind,
(Be) Calm as trees,
(Be) Overwhelming as fire
(Be) Solid as a mountain

Grey Devil
Global Admin
OVER 9000 Posts

The Crazy Hobo Under Your Bed

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »

You can buy stocks in Buy Crab Beer inc.
Logged  Jump To Top

DONDI
1K Newb

rayy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:43 PM »

I keep wanting to buy stock in Box, since I think they will end up being a good investment. My friend has been working there for at least five years.

haha i work at box
Logged  Jump To Top
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print

Jump to: