TF2Newbs Homepage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Discussion Thread: The Flock. A New Way of Gaming?  (Read 1718 times)
[N]ova Shikirori™
UBER NEWB!

The Newbs Workaholic ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

« on: August 12, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »

http://www.vogelsap.com/theflock/

"The Flock will have a limited time to be purchasable. The time left for you to buy the game depends on the amount of Flock lives left in the game. We commit ourselves to a hands-off approach and put the lastingness of the game into your hands.

With each death in the game, one life will be taken from the Flock’s population. When the Flock’s population reaches zero, the game will never be purchasable again. Only players who have The Flock in their Steam library will then go to the next phase and be able to partake in the yet to be announced climactic finale. After the ending, the game will go offline permanently and no longer be playable." - The Flock

This game is really interesting! I don't think that a game like this can survive? Flock 2 in the future?

Here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/GMjScoeTymU

Basically the gaming community decides when the game will end? That brings me to a conclusion that in the game, you are faced by many life or death situations. Maybe it's you kill it, or it kills you, but if you kill it there goes a Flock life? I don't know, I haven't looked into detail with the game, but a game that won't be playable after sometime? That might not sit well with a lot of people in the gaming world.

Here's a question from their FAQ:

Q: Why do this??!

As we’ve mentioned before we want to convey the extinction story as something to be experienced by the players in our multiplayer game. But we also have an important second reason, so bear with us for a moment.

Most indie multiplayer games lose their player base within a year. Even heavy hitters such as Titanfall and Evolve have a fast dwindling player base. The most popular games such as League of Legends and Counter-Strike still have a somewhat anticlimactic ending of their players’ experience. Because in the end at some point – and this can be after five years or two months – you’ll stop playing because you either got bored of it, you’ve seen it all or you, or your friends have no longer time to play.

We want to tackle that problem, and make sure The Flock ends with a climax after which the game will be fondly remembered. Much like a lot of single player experiences where you have a huge battle or a boss fight.

We have three design goals for this game. We want to make a:
1. scary/tense game
2. immersive experience (that you really feel like a monster, or being hunted as the Carrier)
3. and do it in an unconventional way.

The population plan ties into these design goals and strengthens all of these. We wouldn’t be doing this if we were making a competitive shooter or the next moba. But for The Flock it makes a lot of sense. Also, these three design goals – the things that we think makes our game special – won’t last forever. At some point the game will stop being scary, immersive or unconventional, whereas competitiveness lasts forever. You can’t keep playing a horror game forever, but it doesn’t mean the game has no right to exist.

So here’s the question we asked ourselves: isn’t it worth sacrificing the ability to replay the game after say two years’ time? What kind of experience will these players be getting? They would come online and find no one to play against or just a few players who are either really good or very new to the game. That’s not a fun player-experience. So isn’t it worth sacrificing that ability in order to improve the experience for most players when most players are playing the game? We do think so.

The Flock might be onto something! This could be a new way of gaming? What are your guys thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:21:48 PM by [N]ova Shikirori™ » Logged  Jump To Top

"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."

Click --->Steam Profile

Grey Devil
Global Admin
OVER 9000 Posts

The Crazy Hobo Under Your Bed

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »

I watched some alpha gameplay footage just now to get a better feel for the game and it's fine i guess. I really don't expect the game to have a long life so planning for a tangible end in the game wouldn't be terrible. It'd give the community some sense or meaning, especially knowing that the game won't be around forever in its current form. I don't think its a revolutionary idea, but it is a sensible one.
Logged  Jump To Top

You
Global Admin
Newbs Regular

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »

Seems like it would be hard to attract people if it will eventually be unplayable.

Now if they did it it in seasons or something where after the finale things start again, then I could see that being better.
Logged  Jump To Top
Sharpevil
1K Newb

Hello I am plant

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »

From the reviews lamenting the lack of content in the game, it seems quite possible that the game will die well before the counter hits 0. Maybe a dedicated group of players will stick around to cause as many deaths as possible to see the end.
Logged  Jump To Top

You
Global Admin
Newbs Regular

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »

From the reviews lamenting the lack of content in the game, it seems quite possible that the game will die well before the counter hits 0. Maybe a dedicated group of players will stick around to cause as many deaths as possible to see the end.

That's what I think will happen aswell. 
Logged  Jump To Top
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: