TF2Newbs Homepage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Newbs Progress Report #2 05/01/16  (Read 11512 times)
You
Global Admin
Newbs Regular

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »

The only server type that I think should be avoided right now is a rotation server.  I have seen them take forever to start and then die when the map changes.
Logged  Jump To Top
Lindorm
Newbs Regular

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »

The only server type that I think should be avoided right now is a rotation server.  I have seen them take forever to start and then die when the map changes.

You're right about that. rotations servers dies every time the map changes

Huge fan of 5cp maps, would love seeing a 24/7 gully, sunshine or snakewater server. But NOT as a LA server, don't like that 190 ping
Logged  Jump To Top

beer and tf2 walk hand in hand
Kit
Global Admin
1K Newb

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32:42 PM »

You're right about that. rotations servers dies every time the map changes

Huge fan of 5cp maps, would love seeing a 24/7 gully, sunshine or snakewater server. But NOT as a LA server, don't like that 190 ping

I feel like that should be a perk server when we reach our goals. East Coast exclusive for you Euro folk Wink
Logged  Jump To Top

Obey
UBER NEWB!

Rock Paper Scissors is life.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 08:01:14 AM »

RedBadger: I think #17 has Upward in its rotation, and you may be able to vote it to jump there.

I remember Octo saying like last week, that "the money's already been spent" as far as the servers as other resources we have. It's not like we have a problem with admins and committed regs spread out on each server; it's more like we have a problem just having enough actives to keep up more than say, two servers.

See, I like control points, specifically a Dustbowl / Egypt / Gorge / Gravel Pit rotation. But it's not enough if it's just me; we need about a dozen server starters for EACH server and/or server starters that are willing to jump to another server when one is filled.  Starting just one server requires patience enough Smiley  And we've said in the past, our 24/7 servers do best because they don't lose players when the map rotates.

(EDIT: We have enough servers that we probably don't need a rotation; we just do 24/7 servers of just the maps we like and can fill. Instead of a CP5 rotation, maybe just a Snakewater 24/7 one. Skial etc. have held their own doing just that.)

So if anyone wants to change any servers, we should do a sign-up where if we get ten volunteers to commit to a server, then we ask the admins to look into changing it over. (Maybe do the Honorz badges thing or some special scripts in that server for those users, etc. to reward/identify server starters.) You could even go as far as note WHAT TIME those server starters start jumping in.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:09:26 AM by Obey » Logged  Jump To Top

Kit
Global Admin
1K Newb

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 01:10:24 PM »

And we come back to my original point obey: numbers. There is no point in keeping over 9000 servers open if we don't have the numbers. I'm not saying shut them down forever, I'm saying take them offline until we have numbers and reason to open. I'm glad the resources are there, but we need to focus on what we currently have (a handful or two of members back, some admins back) and what we need (less servers to reflect current numbers, new maps, server starting)
Logged  Jump To Top

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print

Jump to: