TF2 Update, Oct 13, 2016Posted on: October 13th, 2016 by Obey
So the Pyro-themed content isn’t here yet. And the annual Halloween update isn’t here yet either. But Valve are working on matchmaking still, as well as MvM, and who knows what else. Here’s the rundown:
- (1) Halloween Event Maps: You can now call a temporary truce during a fight with Monoculus or Merasmus
- Community maps now have a ConVar to force a truce whenever any Halloween boss fight begins
- (2) The Golden Joystick Awards now features a $1 game sale for anyone who votes
- There’s a chance that you can opt-in to a survey after you complete a Casual match or a Comp match
- Some community requests have been implemented:
- Energy weapons will now correctly impact pumpkin bombs, RD robots, and Merasmus props
- Updates for the maps Snakewater, Millstone Event, and Sunshine
See the full patch notes for more information. Expect the next annual Halloween Event to launch sometime next week!
1. What’s This About a Truce…?!
Remember when you played a Halloween Event map, and some big boss monster spawns… yet when your team turns to focus the boss, the other team kills you with your back turned?
Valve has released a way for community maps to enable, or even force, a truce between RED and BLU while there’s a boss monster roaming the map. I assume players will use the votemenu on Valve maps, but community maps now have the options to require the truce if they wish to implement it.
Head admin |N| Octo informed me today that Halloween Event maps on TF2Newbs servers will force a truce during these boss fights. If you want a TF2Newbs Halloween Event map to not have the forced truce setting, please let us know in the forums.
Hey, do you need a guide about the various TF2 Halloween Event maps? Here you go!
The $1 “Golden Joystick Awards” Game Bundle
The Golden Joystick Awards is in its 34th year, handing out awards based on democratically driven voting for beloved video games. To spur voting, this year they have partnered with online digital game distributor Green Man Gaming to offering a deal: After you submit your vote, you are taken to a page where you can buy digital copies of three games for just $1 (or 1 euro, or 1 pound). That’s $1 total for all three games, and you can choose whether to purchase Steam keys or another online platform (such as PS4 or Origin). The games are:
- Spec Ops: The Line*, normally $29.99 on Steam
- Sid Meier’s Pirates, normally $9.99 on Steam
- a Green Man Gaming mystery pack, of a random game from their library**
*The Spec Ops game requires a Green Man Gaming account (free), but it seems to be possible to earn back the money you spent on the package as well. So until the most important election in the world this November–the Saxxy Awards–you can practice your voting skills for the GJA.
**Doing my due research, the random game may not necessarily be a Steam key. It could be Origin, gog, etc. depending on the random game received. Could be literally any game, even one you already own.
The awards voting, as well as the $1 bundle, are available through Halloween, October 31st.
Full Patch Notes: Oct 12, 2016
- Players will now be randomly selected to participate in a survey at the end of Casual and Competitive matches
- Ongoing improvements to the matchmaking backend to improve match quality and reduce wait times
- Fixed air-blasts sometimes sending deflected projectiles in random directions when the Pyro is close to enemy players
- Fixed a case where players joining community bootcamp servers via the server-browser could not select a team
- Reduced the rate at which players can earn bonus points for extinguishing teammates
- Fixed a case where players could use the Halloween teleport spell to get outside the map
- Updated the localization files
- Community requests
- Fixed Merasmus not being stunned by bomb-head players on community Halloween maps
- Added the ability for community Halloween maps to call a truce during a Monoculus or Merasmus fight
- Can be set via the game rules entity using the
- Fixed energy weapons not hitting pumpkin bombs, Merasmus props, and RD robots
- Mann vs. Machine update
- Changes based on community feedback
- Updated bot navigation file, bots now use all routes, won’t get stuck so easily and are smarter
- Fixed woodpile spot where HHH could get stuck
- Improved clipping on wood piles
- Fixed missing rooftop texture
- Fixed a few props flashing at certain angles
- Fixed a spot in the last area where you could place stickies underground
- Fixed Monoculus not getting stunned when hit by players exiting purgatory